It’s safe to say that most of us are pretty tired of this cold winter spent in quarantine and are looking forward to some warmer spring days. Once the pandemic comes to an end, we’ll be able to see friends and family, as well as host gatherings like we did back in 2019. Until then, we can still make the most of our time stuck at home. One fun DIY project that you can make at home to prepare for the spring is an easy, rustic bench! This bench can be used inside near an entryway for storage, to complete an outdoor sitting area, or anywhere else you would like. Wherever you decide to use it, this DIY bench is a great way to prepare for some spring organizing or planning future get-togethers. Keep reading to find out how you can make this simple bench, and check out this blog for more images of the finished product!
Tools and Materials
- One 8 ft. 2×8 wooden plank
- One 6 ft. 2×8 wooden plank
- Kreg Jig
- Kreg Screws (2’’)
- Circular Saw
- Wood Stain (Optional)
- First, saw the 8 ft. 2x8 board in half. Now, cut the 6 ft. 2x8 board into 4 pieces of wood each measuring 17 inches each. These will serve as the legs of the bench.
- Use the Kreg jig to drill pocket holes on the long side of one of the seat boards about 8 inches apart. This side of the board will connect with the other board of the same size to form the seat.
- Drill 2 pocket holes about 2 inches from the top of the wooden legs and 1 pocket hole in the middle of one board to connect the legs. Sand down any rough pieces of wood.
- Attach the two seat boards together using 2 in. screws and wood glue and attach each set of legs together.
- Use a Kreg jig to screw the legs on to the seat from underneath where the holes won’t be as noticeable.
- Stain, if desired. When using reclaimed wood, you can leave the natural wood color for a more rustic look.
At Vintage Harvest, we have a variety of reclaimed wood kits for any DIY wooden projects you want to complete. For this bench, we recommend the Premium Artisan Planks Wood Kit which comes in several different colors and sizes. All of our wood is sourced sustainably and great to use anywhere you want to achieve a rustic look. Visit our website to explore our many wood collections and get started crafting today!