DIY American Flag Wood Decor Piece
Show off your patriotic pride this 4th of July by building your own DIY wooden American flag decor piece! This easy-to-make project only requires a few tools and materials and takes just one afternoon to complete. Using reclaimed lumber adds the perfect amount of rustic charm and still leaves plenty of room for you to customize the flag with as much or as little color as you want. While it’s perfect for the 4th of July, feel free to keep this decor piece up year-round.
Materials and Tools
- 1 reclaimed wood kit from Vintage Harvest
- Table saw, circular saw, or miter saw
- Wood glue
- Wood stains or wood paint
- Star-shaped stencil or stamp
- Cut the reclaimed wood boards into 13 strips that are 2″ wide and 34″ long.
- Cut an additional two strips of wood to run vertically along the back of your flag. These pieces will keep the 13 stripes in place. These strips should measure around 25-26’’ long.
- Depending on whether you want a neutral, wooden look or traditional red, white, and blue colors, gather your wood stain or paint. If staining, apply a dark wood stain to 7 of the 13 strips for the stripes, as well as to a square in the upper left corner which is where the stars will go. If painting, apply the red and white wood paint on alternating strips, leaving a square in the upper left corner to paint blue.
- Using either a star-shaped stencil or stamp dipped into the white paint, add stars over the blue-painted or stained wood.
- Once the stain or paint has dried, flip all of the boards over and line up the two vertical wood strips along the back of the boards. Apply wood glue to the vertical pieces and attach them to the back of the wood planks. Allow your new decor piece to dry for at least 24 hours.
This rustic DIY flag project is the perfect summer craft and is a great way to show off your patriotism for the 4th of July. Using Vintage Harvest reclaimed lumber boards adds a unique charm to the flag that you wouldn’t be able to find anywhere else! Visit our website to see all of our reclaimed wood kit options.